Initiative and Deployment
Before the game begins, players make a Face to Face Roll using their respective Lieutenant's WIP Attributes. The winner of the Initiative Roll can choose between keeping Deployment and keeping Initiative. Whichever option the winner declined goes to the other player.
In case of a tie, or if both players fail the Initiative Roll, they must re-roll it.
The player who kept Deployment gets to choose who deploys first, and in which Deployment Zone.
The Deployment Phase is divided into the following steps:
- Player One Deployment: Following the order established in the Initiative Roll, as decided by the player who kept Deployment, the first player places all but one of his troops inside his Deployment Zone.
- Player Two Deployment: Once Player One is done, Player Two places all but one of her troops inside her Deployment Zone.
- Player One Last Figure: Then, Player One places the troop he kept back during step one.
- Player Two Last Figure: Finally, Player Two places the troop she kept back during step two.
|Some Special Skills, such as Infiltrate, [Impersonation] and Mechanized Deployment, allow players to place certain troops outside their Deployment Zones.
Finally, the Strategos Special Skill can alter the Deployment rules for both players.
To deploy your troops on the table, follow these rules:
- The base of each troop must be entirely within the Deployment Zone.
- Troops cannot be deployed in base to base contact with enemy troops, neutral troops, Markers or Objectives, regardless of their Special Skills.
- If, at the beginning of his first Player Turn, the player's Lieutenant has been not deployed by virtue of some Special Skill, such as Airborne Deployment, that player begins his first Player Turn in a situation of Loss of Lieutenant (see Loss of Lieutenant in page XXX).
- When a troop deploys, its owner can choose to deploy it Prone. To do so, simply place a Prone Marker (PRONE) beside the troop.
- Unless otherwise agreed upon, troops cannot deploy in a location without enough space to fit their entire base.